Seven Interesting Facts About Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Keralam Judge Shaan Rahman
The man behind the international sensation Jimikki Kammal is a singer, too.
Shaan Rahman of Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Keralam is a familiar face to Malayalis. He started his film career in 2006 with the movie Pattanathil Bhootham directed by Johny Anthony. It was the album Coffee@MG Road he did along with his friend Vineeth Sreenivasan, a famous Malayalam film director, that led him to film music. Although his discography is not so large, his songs still remain favourites among youngsters of Kerala.
In case you have missed the previous episode of Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Keralam, watch this:
Let us read some interesting facts about the composer.
- It was his interest in sound engineering that led him to music composing. He did a course in sound engineering and ultimately landed in the film industry.
- His friendship with Vineeth boosted his journey. Their first collaboration was for the music album, Revolution. After that came Coffee @ MG Road which brought the duo under limelight. The friendship has transcended to films as well. Some of their best collaborations are Manyamaha Janangale (Malarvadi Arts Club), Shyamaambaram (Thattathin Marayathu), Manikya Malaraya Poovi (Oru Adaar Love), Thennal Nilavinte (Oru Muthassi Gadha), Ee Shishirakalam (Jacobinte Swarga Rajyam) and Enne Thallendammava (Oru Vadakkan Selfie).
- The Coffee @ MG Road got its name from Vineeth and Shaan’s night outs to MG Road while working on it. After jamming sessions, they would go to MG Road and have coffee.’
- His song Jimikki Kammal for the movie Velipadinte Pusthakam went viral and inspired many young minds to create spin offs and covers. The song received international acclaim when Jimmy Kimmel, host of the popular American show Jimmy Kimmel Live!, tweeted about the song saying he liked it.
- Another hit from his kitty is the song Thiruvavani Ravu (Jacobinte Swargarajyam), which later became a staple during Onam Celebrations on campuses in Kerala. Manikya Malaraya song from the movie Oru Adaar Love featured winking sensation Priya Warrier. The latest one is Kudukku Pottiya song from the movie Love Action Drama.
- Shaan spent his formative years in UAE where he was exposed to Western Music. It still remains his favourite. What’s more, he tries to blend western with eastern tunes in his compositions. The song Thiruvavani Ravu which has drums and grand piano is an example. He is also a fan of Sufi music.
- He is a good singer too. Films like Urumi and Theja Bhai and Family are examples.
For more entertainment, watch Chembarathi streaming on ZEE5