IND vs SL- Statistical review: Deepak Chahar’s all-round performance helps India to win second ODI
Deepak Chahar, the hero for India with the bat showed great composure under pressure to guide India to a three-wicket win over Sri Lanka at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo on Tuesday. India sealed the three-match ODI series 2-0. Just silently sits in a corner to sip some water post his batting heroics What […]
Deepak Chahar, the hero for India with the bat showed great composure under pressure to guide India to a three-wicket win over Sri Lanka at the R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo on Tuesday. India sealed the three-match ODI series 2-0.
Chasing 276, the visitors were reduced to 193/7 in 35 overs. But an unbeaten 84-run stand for the 8th wicket between Deepak Chahar (69*) and Bhuvneshwar Kumar (19*) helped India to get past the finish line in the second ODI. Surya Kumar Yadav’s quickfire 53 off 44 balls, didn’t let the required run rate go much higher and kept the scoreboard ticking. Wanindu Hasaranga picked three wickets – the only bowler who looked impressive from Sri Lanka.
Batting first, Sri Lanka got off to a great start as they scored 59 in the first 10 overs. Openers Minod Bhanuka (36) and Avishka Fernando (50) got Sri Lanka off to a solid start. But Sri Lanka kept losing wickets at regular intervals in the middle overs and didn’t took the advantage of the start they got. Some good hitting from Chamika Karunaratne in the end and half-centuries from Charith Asalanka and Avishka Fernando helped Sri Lanka post a 276-run target. Yuzvendra Chahal and Bhuvneshwar Kumar took three wickets each while quick bowler Deepak Chahar claimed two.
Only one thing that was going on in my mind: This is the kind of innings I’ve been dreaming of. No better way to win the match for the country.
Deepak Chahar said in the post-match presentation after his all-round performance.
“Rahul sir told me to play all the balls. I’ve played a few innings with India A and I think he has belief in me. He told me he thinks I’m good enough to be a No. 7. He has belief in me.” Chahar added
1. It was India’s ninth consecutive bilateral series win over Sri Lanka.
2. India continue their winning streak and won the 10th consecutive ODI against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka.
3. India won their 17th ODI at the R Premadasa Stadium (seventh consecutive).
4. Deepak Chahar’s 69* is the highest score by an Indian at No 8 in a successful ODI chase.
5. Deepak Chahar scored his maiden ODI fifty. His highest score before this game was 12.
6. Bhuvneshwar bowled his first no-ball in international cricket since 2015 (after 3,093 deliveries).
7. Suryakumar Yadav made his maiden ODI half-century for India.