Dasara Special: 6 Things You Need To Know If This Is Your First MYSURU DASARA
In Karnataka, Mysore Dasara is celebrated with grandeur across the city for a period of 10 days. Here’s how this festival is different from others
Beginning this Sunday, i.e, 29th September 2019, get ready for one of the biggest festivals of Namma Karunadu, Dasara. The festival is known by many names; Dasara, Navratri and Vijayadashami. For a period of ten days, Kannadigas celebrate the victory of good over the evil and on the final day, thousands of people gather in the city of Mysuru to witness the pomp and splendour.
Illuminated by bulbs all around, the Mysore palace is lit up for the public to get a great eye view of this historical structure. Though the festival will begin this Sunday, the final day, which is called Vijayadashami, will be celebrated on October 8, 2019. While we proceed to give you a little information about this lovely event, here’s wishing you a prosperous Dasara 2019, on behalf of the entire Zee Kannada family.
1. Mysore Dasara or Mysuru Dasara is a 400-year-old festival celebrated in the state to this date
2. It is dedicated to Goddess Chamundeshwari, an incarnation of Goddess Parvathi, who came to earth to slay the demon king Mahishasura.
3. The Chamundi Hill is named after Goddess Chamundeshwari, who slayed the demon Mahishasur on this particular hill. She decided to continue living atop the hill till her last days
4. Many art exhibitors come to display their talents in the city of Mysuru, be it dancing, musical concerts, arts and crafts or even exhibitions during Dasara
View this post on Instagram
Posted @withrepost • @ahana_chethan D A S A R A – 2k19 (To a beautiful start!) . . . #shotononeplus5t #mysoredasara #mysorepalace #royalty #heritage #architecture #mysuruonline #mysuruheritageheaven #travelkarnataka #karnatakafocus #nkpofficial #starofmysore #theincrediblekarunadu #cruisekarnataka #nkpofficial #travel #travelindia #enticing_gallery #travelrealindia #instaphotography7
5. Raja Wadiyar 1, the ruler of Mysuru in 1610 along with his wife, offered a special pooja dedicated to Goddess Chamundeshwari
6. The best time to travel to Mysuru is during this time of the year. It’s worth the effort because of the grand procession of elephants, camels and even horses, decorated with ornaments and glamour that takes place around the city
Do you have any more insights about this festival to share with us? Leave your comments in the space given below.
Watch the latest episodes of Yaare Nee Mohini, streaming on ZEE5.