Madhuri Dixit is an actress who has ruled the industry for a long time with her dazzling smile, soulful dance, and solid acting. She had given many iconic movies in her career, most of which revolved around family drama & romance, before she started expanding her repertoire.
Madhuri Dixit has been inclined towards dancing since she was three. Her parents enrolled her in professional Kathak Training. She won a scholarship as a Kathak dancer when she was nine. It was because, for the first time, she made a headline in the newspaper for her performance at a Guru Purnima Festival. A journalist called her the star of the show, and our dhak-dhak girl was on cloud nine.
As a student too, Madhuri was an active participant in co-curricular activities. Madhuri was good at academics as well. She was a microbiology student in college, preparing to be a microbiologist or pathologist.
There was a person called Govind whose daughter was Madhuri’sMadhuri’s sister’s classmate. He worked with Rajshri Productions, and he knew that Madhuri Dixit is a dancer, does plays, and gives speeches. Since the production house was looking for a new innocent face, Govind approached her. Her parents were not on board with this and wanted her to continue her education.
Govind insisted they meet the people at the production house. So, they went and found the place normal & not ostentatious. They asked Madhuri to read a few lines to check if she had a Marathi accent; she didn’t. They asked her to dance, and all the while, Madhuri showed that she’s a performer. She was finalized for the film, and Madhuri left her studies to be an actress.
Her debut was not a success, but she was noticed in the movie. After that, she gave seven more back-to-back flops, which disappointed her even though her performances were acknowledged. She finally tasted success when she played Mohini in Tezaab. Her career graph after that had several ups and downs, but her stardom had begun to establish.
After several films, Madhuri became the queen of Bollywood. She became the reason for the success of her movies. Roles & songs written solely for Madhuri. Her mere appearance in a movie used to pull crowds to theatres. She became the highest-paid actress in the industry in the 1990s and early 2000s, bagging more than her co-stars. She was paid 2.7 crores, which was more than Salman Khan in Hum Aapke Hain Koun.
Her performance in the song Ek Do Teen has been her most impactful performance at the time. She realized that and the fact that she’s now a star when a child selling flowers on the road asked her if she was Mohini. Holding a piece of paper, he asked her for an autograph which was her first.
In the movie Devdas, the famous dancer choreographed for Kaahe Chhed Mohe song. He was so impressed with Madhuri’s performance that he declared that she was the best dancer in Bollywood. Madhuri, who had grown up watching him dance, was moved by his comment.
Madhuri touched the hearts of so many people with her performances that her fans would go bananas by just her appearance on the screen. Her fandom was such that her fans in Jamshedpur asked the government to declare her birthday a national holiday. A man even made a calendar in which the year starts with her birthday.
Seeing her performance in Hum Aapke Hain Koun, the famous artist MF Hussain became her fan and watched the movie 67 times. He even booked the entire theatre to watch her in Aaja Nachle. He made Gaja Gamini as an ode to her and womanhood.
Madhuri’s charisma has reached across the border, and her Pakistani fans often say they would leave the demand of Kashmir in her return.
Madhuri met Dr. Shriram Madhav Nene through her brother in the US. He had invited the Nene family to the party. When she talked to him, he inquired about her profession, and she said she works in movies.
Madhuri found his oblivion to her status refreshing. This allowed him to know her as a person instead of having any preconceived notions due to her work. They both were sure they would like to be together but took their time to make their decision. Dr. Nene didn’t even watch her movies when she told him she’s an actress. He was just interested in spending time with her.
The marriage ceremony was conducted secretly in the US. Madhuri’s manager announced the news about her wedding when she returned to India and had a big reception. Dr. Nene didn’t know any actor except Amitabh Bachchan. She completed her pending work assignments and then moved to Los Angeles with her husband.
She spent her days there as a housewife and savoured each moment of it. She would get up early at 05:30 AM when the doctor had a cardiovascular surgery, make his breakfast, and then go back to bed to catch up on her sleep. She loved the change in her life & schedule.
Madhuri Dixit works actively to support children’s education & women’s safety. She worked with UNICEF to uphold the rights of children. She had been the ambassador of many campaigns by the government, such as Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao. She did ads to raise awareness on AIDS.
In 2001, she won money in Kaun Banega Crorepati & donated her winnings to orphanages & Gujarat Earthquake relief fund. She makes similar efforts for the environment.
Madhuri Dixit Nene is a legend in the industry. Her presence overshadows all and brings magic to the screen, which touches the hearts of her fans.
|Name||Madhuri Shankar Dixit|
|Career Debut||Film Debut: Abodh (1984)
TV Debut: Kahin Na Kahin Koi Hai (2002)
|Birth Place||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Home Town||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|School||Divine Child High School, Mumbai|
|College||Parle College, Mumbai|
|Educational Qualification||Degree in Micro-Biology|
|Food Habits||Not known|
|Marriage Date||First Marriage: 17-10-1999
Anil Kapoor (Actor, rumour)
Sanjay Dutt (Actor)
Ajay Jadeja (Former Indian Cricketer)
Husband: Shriram Madhav Nene (Doctor - Cardiovascular surgeon, m. 1999
Brother(s): Ajit Dixit,
Sister(s): Rupa Dixit, Bharati Dixit
|Food||Kande Pohe, Zunka Bhakar, Modak|
|Actor||Balraj Sahani, Gregory Peck|
|Actress||Nargis, Madhubala, Meryl Streep, Ingrid Bergman|
|Bollywood||Garam Hawa, Ganga Jamuna, Sholay, Padosan, Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi|
|Hollywood||Roman Holiday, Gone With The Wind, All About Eve|
|Perfume||Nina Ricci, Issey Miyake|
|Car Collection||Mercedes Maybach S560
Mercedes S-Class 450
Skoda Octavia VRS
Range Rover Vogue
MercedeS GLS 350D 4 Matic
Range Rover Sports
|Salary (approx)||3-4 crore/film (INR)|
|Net Worth (approx)||$35 million|
1) Her kissing scene with actor Vinod Khanna, who was 20 years elder to her for the film Dayavan (1988) was counted among one of the creepiest kissing scenes ever. She has confessed that she should have rejected that entire scene altogether.
2) She used to promote the product of Maggie saying that it is very healthy for kids. But, after the Maggie controversy (MSG in high amount) in 2015, she was badly criticized for it. A district court directed police to register an FIR against Madhuri
3) Link-up with Anil Kapoor: Their crackling on-screen romance became the USP of the film leading to a rumour of the two being romantically involved in real life as well. Though Madhuri and Anil never accepted their alleged relationship in public but their rumoured affair ruled the gossip charts then.
4) Madhuri Dixit and Sanjay Dutt’s love affair! Madhuri Dixit and Sanjay Dutt’s love affair is one such affair which tops the list of the most controversial love affairs in Bollywood till date.Unfortunately, Sanjay’s name then got embroiled in various court cases followed by an arrest. This is said to have been the reason for their separation.
5) Tiff with Govinda?A controversy broke out when Madhuri Dixit rejected T Rama Rao’s film ‘Sada Suhagan’ opposite Govinda. It is being said that Govinda’s career had hit the rock bottom then and hence, Madhuri opted out of the project as she did not want to feature opposite a failed star.
6) Cold war with Juhi Chawla! Madhuri and Juhi tried their best to compete with each other in various ways and remained rivals until they featured together in the recent film ‘Gulaab Gang.’
1) Very few people know that in 1984 she was actually cast in a TV Show, but it never went on air as it was considered not 'Good Enough'.
2) Though she was a top-line model in India before entering Bollywood, it took her 8 years to get a commercial breakthrough in the form of the film Tezaab (1988)
3) She was paid more fees than Salman Khan (approx. 3 Crore) for the film Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994)
4) While Kargil war was going in Indo-Pak border, the Pakistani soldiers taunted Captain Batra saying, If India handovers Bollywood actress Madhuri Dixit to them, they will leave the place forever, Captain Batra gave a fitting reply 'Madhuri ji to busy hain, main aa jata hun'.
5) She is the only Bollywood actress to have been nominated 13 times for the Filmfare Best Actress Award.
6) She is trained in Taekwondo.