Amitabh Bachchan is an Indian actor, producer, television host, singer, and former politician. What can one say about the man, the myth, the legend that is Mr. Amitabh Bachchan. His career spans 50 years, with more than 200 films under his belt. There is not a single person that has contributed more to Cinema and influenced the culture of India other than him. Let's take a look at his astonishing career and some of the stories behind them.
Tu Na Rukega kabhi, Tu Na Thamega kabhi
Kar Shapath, Kar Shapath, Kar Shapath
Agneepath, Agneepath, Agneepath
This is a famous line from the 1990 movie Agneepath but did you know that it's from a poem written by his father. The biggest influence on who Amitabh is today has a deep connection. Even though his father passed away in 62, the impact of his life lives on through the words. Whether it is his health problem, career downturns, or political issues, his fighting attitude was something passed on by the father. Due to the literary influence from childhood, he has an impeccable command of the language, and his aura connects with every Indian.
Amitabh Bachchan's incredible personality is derived from his tall, dark, handsome looks and amazing voice. A voice that was once rejected by All India Radio is now used in almost all entertainment areas. He can spread Holi Cheer with Rang Barse or tell you to Kabhi Aao Gujarat or Do Boond Zindagi ke. His magnetism can make anything interesting, and that voice brings a level of trust that no other person can.
In the 70s, he became a household name as he carried the angst of people wanting to change the system. Even a flop movie of Bachchan Sahab made more money than other actors' hit movies. His influence was so much that many considered him as a one-person industry. Silver and Golden Jubilees were very common for him back, and they would run for years. Movies like Deewaar, Satte Pe Satta, Don, Sholay, and Amar Akbar Anthony are widely considered India's crown jewel.
In the 80s, he continued his success trajectory with movies like
Shaan, Ram Balram, Naseeb, Laawaris, Kaalia, Yaarana, Barsaat Ki Ek Raat and Shakti. These movies continued to push him into stardom, and they were huge blockbusters. His films continued to inspire and carry millions of people's hopes, dreams, and ambitions.
In the 90s, he expanded his ambition to Politics and became a producer with the massive downturn. He struggled to translate his movie's stardom into political success, and Amitabh Bachchan Corporation, Ltd. (ABCL) suffered heavy losses. His film career was also in trouble as coming back from retirement proved to be harder than expected. With all the fiascos he was dealing with, many wrote him off, and it seemed like an end for Bachchan Sahab’s career.
In the 2000s, he revived his career with the movie Mohabbatein with which he transitioned into character-based roles. This new second inning as an actor helped him revive his career and showcased his masterclass acting. Bachchan played pivotal roles in blockbuster movies like Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Baghban, Bunty Aur Babli, and Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. He also garnered critical acclaim for Black, Paa, Cheeni Kum, Aks, and Aankhen.
At the age of 78, he is still one of the most hardworking actors and continues to push himself as an actor. Even after 5 decades of an impressive resume, he still surprises everyone with exciting and brave choices.
In 1982, during the shooting of the movie Coolie there was a stunt that was mistimed, and he suffered from splenic rupture. He was hospitalized for immediate surgery and remained critically ill for months on end. This was when the whole nation came together to pray for his full recovery, and fans waited outside his hospital. Then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi rushed to the hospital to meet him and gave him a pendant to pray for his safe recovery. The whole nation held their breath for him, and thankfully he survived.
Amitabh is a man whose legacy is unbeatable, and his status is legendary. His impact cannot be described in words, and there will never be another Amitabh Bachchan.
|Name||Amitabh Harivansh Rai Shrivastava|
Angry Young Man
Shahenshah of Bollywood
|Career Debut||Film Bollywood - Saat Hindustani (1969)
Film Hollywood - The Great Gatsby (2013)
Film Producer - Tere Mere Sapne (1996)
TV Host - Kaun Banega Crorepati - KBC (2000)
|Birth Place||Allahabad, British India (now, Uttar Pradesh, India)|
|Home Town||Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|School||Jnana Pramodhini, Boys High School, Allahabad|
|College||Sherwood College, Nainital, Kirori Mal College, New Delhi|
|Educational Qualification||Bachelor of Science|
|Address||Jalsa, B/2, Kapol Housing Society, VL Mehta Road, Juhu, Mumbai – 400049, Maharashtra, India|
|Hobbies||Singing, Blogging, Reading|
|Marriage Date||First Marriage: 03-06-1973
|Marriage Location||Not Known
Parveen Babi (Indian Actress)
Jaya Bhaduri (Indian Politician & Former Indian Actress)
Wife: Jaya Bachchan (m. 1973)
Brother(s): Ajitabh Bachchan (Younger, Businessman)
|Food||Bhindi Sabzi, Jalebi, Kheer, Gulab Jamun|
|Bollywood||Kagaz Ke Phool, Ganga Jamuna, Pyasa|
|Hollywood||Gone With The Wind, Godfather, Black, Scarface|
|Singer||Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar|
|Sports||Cricket, Lawn Tennis|
|Holiday Destination||London, Switzerland, Saint Petersburg|
|Car Collection||Bentley Arnage R
Bentley Continental GT
Lexus LX 470
Mercedes-Benz SL 500 AMG
Porche Cayman S
Range Rover SUV
Toyota Land Cruiser
Mercedes Benz S320
Mercedes Benz S600
Mercedes Benz E240
|Salary (approx)||$2.68 million (INR 20 crores/film; As in 2018)|
|Net Worth (approx)||$400 million (INR 2800 crores; as in 2019)|
1) His name appeared in the Bofors scandal in which he was later declared not guilty.
2) He was indicted for submitting false documents to prove that he is a farmer.
3) Stardust imposed a 15-years banon him during his peak acting years. According to his blog, he brought the idea of National Emergency and ban on Media.
4) Politician Amar Singh, once a close friend, had called Amitabh Bachchan “greedy” and claimed that he had helped the actor when he was bankrupt but the latter refused to help him in times of need.
5) Shatrughan Sinha, who worked with Amitabh in films like Dostana and Kala Pathar, had alleged that Amitabh felt insecure in his presence
6) Kader Khan called Amitabh Bachchan high on power. Veteran actor Khader Khan had once stated that Amitabh Bachchan was high on power. He had then stated that he would ensure that Bachchan loses, if the latter ever stood in any sort of elections.
7) Sayali Bhagat accused Bachchan of sexual harassment. Former Miss India World Sayali Bhagat had irked a controversy with Bachchan when she had taken his name along with some other Bollywood celebrities for sexually harassing her"
1) When he was young, he wanted to become an engineer and was eager to join the Indian Air Force
2) During his college days, he was a good athlete and won the 100, 200 and 400-metre races. At the Sherwood in Nainital, he also won a Boxing Championship.
3) Before the success of Zanjeer, he was a part of 12 consecutive flop films
4) Reportedly, he was paid Rs.1 lakh for his role of Jai in the iconic Indian film- Sholay (1975).
5) In 1996, he formed his film production company- Amitabh Bachchan Corporation Limited (ABCL). ABCL was also the main sponsor of the 1996 Miss World beauty pageant at Bangalore but lost millions.
6) His career and fame were revived in 2000 when he made his television debut with a game show- Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC).
7) In June 2000, he became the First living Asian whose statue was modelled at the London Madame Tussauds Wax Museum.
8) In 2017, All Bengal Amitabh Bachchan Fans; Association unveiled the life-size statue of Mr. Bachchan in Tiljala, a neighbourhood of South Kolkata. Crafted by Subrata Bose, the statue has given Bachchan Sarkar avatar.